As the province starts to loosen COVID-19 related restrictions, the University of Ottawa has put in place a plan to gradually resume operations in its research laboratories. The AEL AMS Laboratory will be resuming operations in a limited capacity as of June 1, 2020.
To maintain a safe and healthy working environment for our lab personnel the Radiocarbon Training Program has been temporarily suspended.
We thank you for your continued patience, do not hesitate to contact us with any questions.
Radiocarbon Training ProgramWe encourage students, technicians, and professors to come to Ottawa to process their own samples for radiocarbon analysis. Other than covering the analytical cost, the program is free!
- Physical pre-treatment, sampling, lab tour, lab safety training;
- Chemical pre-treatment;
- Conversion to CO2;
- Loading samples on the AMS
There is a 5 sample minimum. For fully trained outside users processing samples at the AEL-AMS laboratory, a 20% discount will be applied at the discretion of the AEL-AMS staff.
Preparing for your visit
- The program is offered year-round, but space is limited during busy months (i.e. August-October and December-March). Contact us early.
- All participants are required to bring indoor closed-toed shoes, and wear long pants. Long hair should be tied back. All other necessary PPE will be provided (i.e. lab coat, safety goggles, gloves).
- Make sure your samples are well labelled and organized prior to arriving at the lab. For organics, make sure your samples are clean and dry and that you have pre-selected only the material you wish to date. For water and gas samples, follow our Water Sampling Protocol.
Mandatory Safety Training
- All participants are required to complete mandatory safety training through University of Ottawa prior to working in the laboratory. Please register as a guest to create an account: https://web47.uottawa.ca/en/person/register . Once the on-line application has been submitted, you should receive an access code within 24 hours.